1.24.2014

$20 Project

Came across this little gem for $20. Last night I took it apart and greased the headset & bottom bracket, cleaned the frame, and started reassembly. It needs new cables, housing, and a trigger shifter. I had always seen these things on eBay but never wanted to pay for such a heavy clunker. The rear hub is a Shimano 3 speed. The bike is a Bugatti Royale 20" folding bike. The frame is heavy and the collapsing technology is downright scary on the handlebars and stem. When you tighten the quick release on the stem it compresses the slotted steerer tube so that the headset top cap loosens. SCARY! I might just remove all the front quick releases all together.

2 comments:

  1. OH Thomas. You've got yourself into now. You might be able to find a different fork that might actually have canti studs on it too. I am sure the wheels weigh a ton too. Some lighter wheels would do a lot for the performance as well. If I didn't have so many bikes already, I would be tempted to by one of those min velos. Of course, I highly recommend the Twenty as I have two. Todd Ely sold me his Raleigh Competition GS that I am currently seeking a few parts for on Ebay. It is a sickness I (we?) have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Chris! I don't think I really want to do more to this one other than get it rideable and move it along to someone that can use it. I had to stop by Elliot's hardware in Plano, TX to find the correctly threaded nut for the main folding bolt. Turns out to be a 7/16 with 20tpi. Elliot's is a great hardware store. I'm sure I would not have found it at your standard Blue or Orange hardware stores.

      Delete